16 Things I learned in 2016
Ah, 2016 - what a year it has been. Lots of sweat, hours in the gym, and new experiences - we made it. I feel like getting older (and seeing a new year) is truly a gift, we start to learn what we once took for granted, like a home cooked meal or a hug from a parent. Not that we weren't grateful for things when we were younger, we just learn to appreciate them differently.
I've learned a lot this year, some bigger lessons than others, but all important nonetheless. As I sit here and reflect on 2016, I thought I would share some of the lessons I learned over the past year ...
(1) It is still possible to get homesick at 26 years old.
(2) Stress has an epic effect on the human body - making time for recovery is important.
(3) I am indeed smart enough to get into a masters program (who would've thought?!)
(4) Stepping outside your comfort zone is scary and incredibly rewarding.
(5) Coconut oil solves/ fixes just about everything ...
(6) Planks will never go out of style and will always be one of the best core exercises.
(7) Less is more when it comes to programming - always focus on QUALITY first.
(8) Peppermint and lavender essential oils work wonders for stress relief and sleeping soundly.
(9) It is 100% possible to get high quality sources of protein through NON-animal products (black beans rank near the top!)
(10) Probiotics are clutch for your gut health (a reason why I love kombucha so much)
(11) Kombucha is a VERY expensive habit but you can't put a price on health right?
(12) The mental aspect of sport is just as important as the physical training and nutrition.
(13) Experience continues to teach me more than any course, book, or class ever will.
(14) A part of me will always miss being an athlete, but I am lucky to have found a job that allows me to still hold onto my athlete identity (forever living vicariously through my athletes ...)
(15) Hard work will always pay off even when you don't see it right away ... trust the process.
(16) If you do something you love and that you're passionate about, you will be happy.
Time to appreciate the ups and downs of 2016 and gear up for BIG dreams and BIG goals in 2017 - wishing you all the best this New Year.
Let get it 2017!