A Healthy Take on Holiday Sides
With American Thanksgiving this week and Christmas just around the corner, I thought it would be appropriate to share some of my favourite holiday side dishes.
When speaking with athletes about their nutrition, many times it is just about making minor changes and switches to what they already eat that will make a huge difference. For example, swapping white potatoes for sweet potatoes. The calories are relatively similar but the nutrients and vitamins that sweet potatoes have make them a better option, or swapping whole milk for almond milk - simple switches, big difference.
This brings me to holiday dishes ... the holidays are meant to be enjoyed to the fullest, but making healthier alternatives will allow you to enjoy without overdoing it.
First up is a healthier take on mashed potatoes - mashed cinnamon sweet potatoes.
• 2 large sweet potatoes
• 2 tbsp of coconut oil
• 2 tbsp of almond milk
• 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp of sea salt
• Cut up sweet potatoes into small chunks
• Place sweet potatoes in a large pot, fully covered in water
• Let the water come to a boil and allow sweet potatoes to cook until tender
• Strain sweet potatoes, place in bowl and add coconut oil, almond milk, cinnamon and sea salt
• Mash until smooth and enjoy!
Quick tip: you can peel the skin or leave it on - the skin of a sweet potato is loaded with extra nutrients!
What's your favourite holiday recipe? Comment below!