Homemade Apple Crisp
I LOVE the fall. I love the weather, the colour, the change in season, new beginnings, etc. It really is a wonderful time of year. One of my favourite parts about the fall are the flavours. In my last recipe post, I focused on the benefits of pumpkin, but this time around we're hitting up my favourite combo ... APPLE CINNAMON.
Apples are an excellent source of dietary fibre, vitamins, and antioxidants. They are a great snack on their own, but awesome when used in baking. Cinnamon is a natural anti-inflammatory and it also helps lower blood sugar levels.
Quick tip - try adding cinnamon to black coffee for a natural and light sweetness.
This recipe is great for special occasions or just cause, but it's important to use nutrient-dense ingredients when making a sweet treat.
• 3 Large Apples (slice and peel)
• 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
• 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
• 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
• 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup (You can use honey as well)
• 1/3 Cup Almond Flour
• 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
• 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
• 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
• Dash of Sea Salt
• Dash of Vanilla
• 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
• Preheat the oven to 350º
• Mix sliced apples, 1 tbsp of honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice in a bowl until apples are completely covered
• In a 8 x 8 greased (with coconut oil) dish, place the apple mixture in the oven for 10 minutes until soft
• While the apples are in the oven, mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
• Once apples are done, pour the oat mixture on top and put in oven for 20-25 minutes --> Top layer should be golden brown
• Top with vanilla ice cream or eat on its own, and enjoy!