Meal Prep Series - Mason Jar Meals
Big props to my friend Ainsley for introducing this concept to me - mason jar meals. They are convenient, easy to make, and less expensive than going to Chipotle everyday for lunch. It's all in the order of how you stack things into the jar, but you can really make any sort of meal. The best part is that all the ingredients will stay fresh for up to 5 days, no soggy lettuce here.
For the sake of this post, I'm going to use the taco salad - but you can honestly make anything you want, just make sure the layers are in the right order!
Grocery List/ Whats Needed
• 2 1Lb. Packs of Protein of Choice (ground turkey, beef, black beans)
• 1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce
• 1 Jar of Salsa
• 1 Whole Tomato
• 2 Orange/ Yellow Peppers
• 4 Stalks of Green Onion
• Avocado (optional)
• 4-5 Mason Jars
Note: Makes 5 servings/ meals
• Prep protein of choice (using ground turkey as my example) - cook over medium heat with a classic taco seasoning for flavour
• Prep the rest of the ingredients by chopping up vegetables, ready to layer in each jar
• Start with salsa as the first layer - this is so everything else doesn't get soggy and when you pour out the jar, the sauce comes out on top!
• Second layer will be your protein
• Third layer will be vegetables of choice
• Fourth layer will be the iceberg lettuce (make sure to pack it tight!)
• Finally, seal the jars with the lids for easy storage in the fridge!
Note: If you want to add avocado, wait until the day of to cut it up so it doesn't brown!
Note: Just remember to bring a bowl to dump everything into when you are ready to eat!
*Calculated on MyFitnessPal
Calories per serving: 170-200 (depending on portions of protein)
11g of Carbs, 20g of Protein, 7g of Fat
Pictures courtesy of Ainsley :)