Meal Prep Series - The Trifecta
I've been hearing a lot of requests for meal prep options lately. After posting my Meal Prep Made Easy last week, I thought it would be cool to do one post a week about a simple and quick meal prep option. This will be the Meal Prep Series and I will be posting this series Sunday mornings in preparation for the coming week. Each post will include a grocery list of ingredients needed, instructions, nutrition facts, and quick tips about ONE recipe. Hopefully after a couple weeks there will be several different meal options to choose from for your meal prepping sessions.
This week we're going to start off with the mother of all meal prep meals, which I refer to as The Trifecta - chicken, sweet potatoes (mashed), and greens (we're going with asparagus this week).
Grocery List/ What's Needed
• 4 Large Sweet Potatoes
• 5 Chicken Breasts (Organic, if its available)
• 2 Bundles of Asparagus
• Grapeseed, Flax or Coconut Oil
• Seasonings for chicken (Mrs. Dash Chicken Seasoning is great and simple)
• 5 Medium-Sized Tupperware
Note: portions may vary depending on goals, current body composition, and number of meals.
• Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes
• Place them into a pot with water, but not completely covering them
• Place lid on pot and bring to a boil (medium-high heat) - turn off heat and let sit for 8 minutes
• Once sweet potatoes are stemmed to desired tenderness, drain and place in a bowl
• Mash with a masher or fork until smooth
• Add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, a pinch of sea salt and 2 Tbsp of almond milk
• Preheat oven to 350°
• Place a sheet of tinfoil on a baking sheet and cover with oil of choice
• Remove chicken from packaging and place in a bowl for seasoning
• Cover chicken in oil and seasoning, then mix until coated
• Place chicken onto baking sheet, making sure there's space between each breast
• Cook chicken breasts at 350° for 35 minutes
• Using the same temperature (350°) as the chicken
• Lay out a large sheet of tinfoil
• Cut ends off of asparagus and place on tinfoil sheet
• Season with olive/flax or grapeseed oil, sea salt and pepper
• Create a boat with the tinfoil and seal the top so asparagus is completely covered
• Cook with chicken for 20 minutes at 350°
• Once everything is cooled, placed into tupperware containers and place in the fridge to keep fresh!
*Calculated on MyFitnessPal
• Sweet Potatoes - 1 Serving = 1 Cup = 157 Calories
30g of Carbs, 3g of Protein, 3.5g of Fat
• Chicken Breast - 1 Serving = 1 Breast (5 oz.) = 125 Calories
0g of Carbs, 25g or Protein, 3g of Fat
• Asparagus - 1 Serving = 1/2 a Bundle (5 oz.) = 30 Calories
3g of Carbs, 3g of Protein, 0g of Fat
Requests for meal prep recipes? Let me know!